Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Request for feedback

I personally think the club is great. I just wish I had the time to go to the majority of the events. Lost my wife last year due to lung cancer, thus trying my best to get my daughter and son through high school and college. I'll try and make it to some events later in the year.

Ill start off slightly different.

I like the website and I like the organization of the track day events (even though I havent attended yet).

The meetings being on Sat evening though... Ill probably never attend. If there were mid-week get together, I would be more apt to attend.

Read a few people mention swap meets. Dont think thats the best idea. The For Sale section on the forum far more convenient. I hate lugging around a bunch of old junk, just to turn around and take it back to the garage.

And lindertw check your pm's.

This might be a stretch but the best time I've had all year so far was the Carlisle All Ford Nationals June 6-8 (with somewhere over 2,500 Mustangs and more than you can possibly see and do in one day, or even 3, surrounded by mountains and a small-town atmosphere ending with a parade and street party/car show on closed streets in old town). Maybe next year it would be cool to have an NVMC presence there or a group to cruise up there with - or to similar regional events. I haven't had that good of a time at an event in years.

In terms of what worked, my best memories over the years with NVMC or what had the greatest attraction to attend was events. Cruises, car shows, drag days. The challenge these days is making it work with the schedule, or budget or even conflicting events and having enough advance notice. The real world happened you could say and I work crazy hours compared to when I first joined the Mustang club. If I could pick only one to attend it would probably be cruises.

With that said in the end what really always made it worth the trip was the people. Any venue that allows you to connect with people who "speak your language" and "get it" are what it's all about in the end. It doesn't have to be any big event to do that. I'm not sure how much the club demographic has changed over the years since I don't go often anymore but maybe joint events with other clubs/etc would get more people hooked ? I think most of the people I used to attend with/know in the club "back in the day" have moved on, sold the mustang, had kids etc and with them went the social experience that is a part of the equation. Must be time to make some new friends

I like the idea of rotating different locations/days as I both don't live where I used to and work weekends now more than ever before. I understand entirely though if the current location is already the best choice. Even if it was something unofficial like a few club members checking out C&C or something it would present more chances to connect.

Sometimes I get my "news" on upcoming events through social medial. I don't frequent the forums anymore so maybe announcing events though as many outlets as possible (email, social media/Facebook) would make it easier to attend things. Half the battle is just knowing about it and knowing about it soon enough to make plans.

Why am I only rarely seen now at club events compared to practically all the time "back in the day" ? Several reasons. First, I've had my Mustang now for almost 12 years and coming up on 200,000 miles soon. It's been daily driven (including though almost every snow storm we've had in 12 years), flogged at the track on drag days, driven across country, t-boned by a mercedes, hit by a deer, off-roaded on farms a Mustang should never be subjected to, and never had the luxury of a garage. Although I still spend my days obsessing over parts and dreaming of the next mod or upgrade (yes, even this many years down the road) it's in no shape to be shown at a meet right now. I would be embarrassed. It's no show car anymore. If I do go I simply tuck my tail between my legs and hitch a ride in my brother's Mach 1 or girl friends GT and wonder where all the time has gone. I'm doing everything I can to fix it up and cross off my wish list of parts in the coming months (another round of installs 2 weeks from now, can't wait !), but frankly, I don't make that kind of money and most weeks it's a struggle just to afford gas. Hopefully I'm in the minority here but club events are a luxury I can't really engage in right now and life has presented too many other priorities including hospice care. A second big personal consideration is accessibility. Without going into too much depth here, some days it's easier just to skip public events and not deal with it all. So sometimes, it's not that the club needs to make any big changes, it's simply that the real world wins that matchup too often.

Swap meets are an interesting idea. The crab cruise sounded great too it just wasn't an option for me due to work. I would definitely be interested in checking out a cars and coffee type event, even informally. Please keep us all posted on what's next

I know I hate the long drive from Dale City to the Dulles Expo Center. But I don't have any alternate place to meet.

As for a cruise I would love one to Skyline drive and stop there for lunch but that might not be too popular and for some people there is a fee for entering the park.

Kain
    Skyline drive/211 has always been a favorite of mine around these parts. And an annual pass is cheap. I try to go at least once a year, particularly in the Fall.

Speaking of which, there is Grey Ghost vineyards off 211 that would make a good meet stop. Plus their wine is very good.

King of the Road
    Drag races are fun but I am more into auto-X or road racing. A club day at Summit Point would be great.

10 second thrill vs 20 minute thrill.

Also doing a club cruise up to Carlisle next year. I think the club record was set by Team Shelby in 2013. 300 + cars.
    Last edited by King of the Road; 06-25-2014 at 09:23 PM.

Mike7202
    Guess I should actually show up for a meeting before I post up any suggestions.

While I have attended several meetings over the years, the Saturday evening meetings have become harder for me to attend. Seems like there is always something going on with the family on Saturday evening. So I would support some of the others suggestions of trying some alternate days/times.

The location is somewhat of a drive for me to, about 26 miles one-way, so alternate locations would a plus for me too.

The idea of having a meeting at the Manassas Burger King cruise-in would be nice to try again.

My favorite activities are the cruises and shows. The detailing day offered by Son1c in an earlier post sounds interesting too.

Just wanted to give a shout-out to the staff of NVMC, they do a great job and the club seems to be thriving.
    Rare Pony, AKA Ole Pony & MikeofWarr
    Current Mustang Stable:
    1973 Convertible
    2001 Bullitt
    2004 Mach 1 (Oxford White)
    2004 Mach 1 (Azure Blue)

boss434
    First, Thank you for haveing me, been looking for a club for a while, really just interested in meet and greet as my schedule is tight,
    Allthough would love to do Skyline or somthing of the sort, will just stay in the backround here and read post's for now
    Thanks again
    Nick
    Just a SHELBY

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Runner View Post
    I second the request for picnic or get-together near DC. I'm in Rosslyn, Chantilly is a haul for me also, hence I don't participate in the club events like I should. Gravelly Point Park (approach end of Reagan National Airport) and Haynes Point could accomodate our cars for free for a picnic/barbecue one afternoon. Maybe even throw it out there for us DC types to meet up there sometimes. The military types can always meet at Bolling AFB and fire up the grills there also.

Anywhere that gets any of the club members together is worth looking at.

Thanks for opening up the floor on this Ceece, good discussion.

Attachment 2364

Semper,
    Bill
    Bill where in Rosslyn are you? I live right by the Gold's Gym.

oldpanzer
    Quote Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
    I would be glad to host a detailing day for the club
    That would be nice event, I am interested.

Kain
    Quote Originally Posted by GMUSSTN View Post
    Bill where in Rosslyn are you? I live right by the Gold's Gym.
    When asked "where in Arlington?" I like to tell people "near the Starbucks."

I'd love to see a detailing day or two a year, and more cruises like the Crab Cake Cruise is what I like. Unfortunately, my knee surgery has put a damper on much of my participation this year so far, but it's getting better. Hopefully I'll make it to an event or two before the cold weather returns. My father-in-law being in the hospital prevented my joining the crab cake cruise this year, and it really bummed me out, but family first. My participation will improve with my health, and I like alot of the shows and the cruise I've done so far, so it's hard for me to answer... I guess the detailing days and more cruises is all I've got.
    Christopher Sigmund

It is better to travel well than to arrive.
    Buddha

Another Gettysburg Cruise would be cool... my health prevented me from attending that one too dang it.
    Christopher Sigmund

It is better to travel well than to arrive.
    Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    When asked "where in Arlington?" I like to tell people "near the Starbucks."
    That creates too much confusion. Like telling someone in Boston they're "right by the Dunkin' Donuts."

Quote Originally Posted by GMUSSTN View Post
    That creates too much confusion. Like telling someone in Boston they're "right by the Dunkin' Donuts."
    Lol so true
    James

1989 Black LX Notchback Supercharged 306, Tubular GT40 intake manifold, X303 cam, shorty headers, dumps, subframe connectors, 3" cowl hood

2011 Performance White 5.0, 401a, 3.73's, Roush Axlebacks, Eibach Pro kit, center fog grille, BMR adjustable Panhard bar, JPC Linelock, Blowfish Racing Trans Bracket, JLT CAI, BAMA V2, MMD Hood Struts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike7202 View Post
    Guess I should actually show up for a meeting before I post up any suggestions.
    Mike,

All suggestions are welcome. Showing up to the meetings is a good start though
    James

1989 Black LX Notchback Supercharged 306, Tubular GT40 intake manifold, X303 cam, shorty headers, dumps, subframe connectors, 3" cowl hood

2011 Performance White 5.0, 401a, 3.73's, Roush Axlebacks, Eibach Pro kit, center fog grille, BMR adjustable Panhard bar, JPC Linelock, Blowfish Racing Trans Bracket, JLT CAI, BAMA V2, MMD Hood Struts

PonyRedux
    Last year we did do a cruise on 211 out to Luray and then a bit further to an Italian Restaurant that took very good care of us. The Skyline Drive cruise is problematic for a few reasons. One is the speed limit and limited places to pull over as a group. Also in the past we've encountered a bit of pushback by the Rangers at the park about group cruises thru there, not even a speed issue...They don't want groups our size for the most part if I'm not mistaken. We could certainly explore Western Area cruises since the roads and curves out there are in a word ...delicious.

As far as Grey Ghost goes...I personally love a good glass of wine. However I'm pretty sure that I speak for the entire staff when I say...this is a non starter. No offense to anyone but car club+alcohol+potential liability= Not happening. I know we're all adults but its a pandora's box that isn't getting opened.

manderson
    Haven't been able to participate yet, I guess I would say that it would be nice to get event emails further in advance. Other than that, maybe a cruise out west ward would be fun.

Kain
    Quote Originally Posted by PonyRedux View Post
    As far as Grey Ghost goes...I personally love a good glass of wine. However I'm pretty sure that I speak for the entire staff when I say...this is a non starter. No offense to anyone but car club+alcohol+potential liability= Not happening. I know we're all adults but its a pandora's box that isn't getting opened.
    I get the whole liability issue, but many a group have their meets at restaurants, and they ain't just drinking tonic water. I will have a beer at a restaurant meet, just like I did @ Stoney's. I suggested a vineyard not so we can do barrel stands, but because it's a nice spot for responsible tastings. Places like Grey Ghost that are a pitstop out in nowhere know that the customer isn't taking the metro home and thus serve accordingly. And because so many people here are dispersed, not everyone will care for a Shenandoah cruise or for drinking wine or can hold their alcohol, so it's a self-filtering process.

I guess the point I'm making is that there's liability, and then there's acceptable risk. I'm assuming a risk just getting in my car to go to a meet, hoping I don't get T-boned by a semi on the way.

Please don't take offense as I been to all of one meet and just got here. In the end, I just like doing fun stuff with like-minded folks, so I'll come out when I can.