PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Mustang Gt for sale locally...Questions????

SALEENSSC
10-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Does this car belong to a NVMC member? anyone familiar with it? Im interested in picking up another 86 GT, but im a little concerned about such a low mileage car. Would i have to do much to it to get it to be a reliable driver? The owner mentions it still has the original plugs and wires??? is that a good thing or am i most likely going to have to dump money into this thing to replace all the fluids and tune-up items? Thanks for any input

Copy And paste of the ad from Craigslist:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/4160513483.html

It's been in storage many years. 1986 Mustang GT now with a 1ittle over 13,600 original miles, as I am driving the car o on the weekends. The car is ALL original, it still has the original spark plugs and wires from the factory.

No tire kickers, no joy rides. Serious inquires only. Price is firm at $8,000.00, or I'll keep it.

Great White
10-30-2013, 10:09 AM
I would be leery about the mileage especially on a car of its vintage, unless it's the original owner and he/she can provide all records indicating the mileage is accurate.

I would absolutely change all fluids, spark plugs/wires, replace tires, inspect all brake lines, and fuel lines, replace fuel filter, inspect brakes, and steering components. A low mileage car of this vintage can have a ton of unseen issues just because it sat for so long.

Other then that its a beautiful car, and my favorite year of the fox. I wish you luck

SALEENSSC
10-30-2013, 10:14 AM
I would be leery about the mileage especially on a car of its vintage, unless it's the original owner and he/she can provide all records indicating the mileage is accurate.

I would absolutely change all fluids, spark plugs/wires, replace tires, inspect all brake lines, and fuel lines, replace fuel filter, inspect brakes, and steering components. A low mileage car of this vintage can have a ton of unseen issues just because it sat for so long.

Other then that its a beautiful car, and my favorite year of the fox. I wish you luck

THANKS. Great Advice. My favorite fox as well :)

99GT
10-30-2013, 10:46 AM
I've had a couple 86 GTs including one that I bought brand new. Looking at the interior it could be a low mileage car as the pedals and seats don't show any of the wear I've seen in 100k plus cars. The plug wires should be stamped 1986 if they are the originals. The price seems fair. I'd say it's worth looking at but the car probably should be preserved as is and not turned into a driver as turning the car into a driver as that would destroy the originality of the car. Just my two cents, Dan

Renegade3
10-30-2013, 01:04 PM
Always worth taking a look at it! If you do, take some pics and post it up. Good luck with it, that's a great looking stang

JudgeDredd
10-30-2013, 01:09 PM
I have been trying to get to Lorton Va on my free time for a 91 GT that has been stored in a ladies garage since the passing of her husband. It to is low miles and she wants an estimate from me to sell it. She said it has never been modded or touched. I see you all are talking about this classic o I thought I'd pip in on this. More o follow.

Ceece

SALEENSSC
10-30-2013, 01:46 PM
I have been trying to get to Lorton Va on my free time for a 91 GT that has been stored in a ladies garage since the passing of her husband. It to is low miles and she wants an estimate from me to sell it. She said it has never been modded or touched. I see you all are talking about this classic o I thought I'd pip in on this. More o follow.

Ceece

Please share if you get some info on that 91 GT, Always looking for an all original FOX

Renegade3
10-31-2013, 06:46 PM
Do tell Ceece!

Renegade3
10-31-2013, 06:47 PM
Forgot the comma, sorry

JudgeDredd
11-01-2013, 12:38 AM
As soon as I have something solid I will let you all know. :-)

vascj
11-05-2013, 07:12 PM
If you need help Ceece lmk....I'll go along for the ride....Love seeing original foxes.
As far as the 86 is concerned, I've seen it in person when it was offered for sale a while back, over a year or so. very strange car. Unusual history. Take your time looking it over as with any used car. . Not saying anything bad about it, just make sure you get what you want in a car like this. .I've had over a dozen foxbodies. Bought new and driven in the 80s.

Great White
11-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Can you elaborate on the "Very strange car" part

vascj
11-06-2013, 05:26 AM
These were all things I was told by the guy who was selling it when i took a look at it a long time ago. I cant confirm if they are true or not, just telling you what i heard. I was told the Car was repainted. Car was left at a shop after being dropped off and never picked up by the original owner for many many years. This was the story i was told a while back when it was first up for sale a while back. Dont know if this is the same seller. The interior is completely faded, but, in good condition as Dan has said. Just like with any foxbody, look in all the normal areas for rust, wear, and condition. It's tough to tell with the recent respray. Just like with any used car, just take your time looking her over and take someone very familiar with these cars. I currently have an 86, they are great cars. Of all these foxbodies ive seen, this one had such an odd story during the time i was looking for one. It sat for a long time. As far as original wires, no worries there as long as they are functional and in good shape. The early EFI cars are pretty bulletproof as far as drive ability and reliability as long as they are well maintained. Mine has always been serviced and I would drive it anywhere. The 5.0 fuelies beginning in 86 are just great all around cars...
Good luck!

Not an exhaustive list, but some areas to look at on all fox bodies and not specific to this particular car:
Heater core, water pump, rust, rust, rust torque boxes, wheel wells, door jams, door lower areas, rear hatch lip, lower doors, lower shock towers, radiator support, all body panels, make sure all lights work, all smog stuff, fan blade for cracking, check idling, drive train leaks, T5 tranny for grinding-synchros, radiator leaks, seat mount for cracks in floor pan, weak seats, brakes calipers for,possible seizing, dew wipes, rear hatch alignment, fog lights and covers, both front and rear bumpers, interior drivers seat bolster, check oil pressure, ring blow-by, , etc., etc., etc. these are all just preliminary things on these cars, engine and drivetrain should be thoroughly inspected.

coupeguy
11-12-2013, 08:27 AM
no

Bkoons85GT
11-12-2013, 10:42 PM
As Tony states, I would look this car over carefully.
We all know what to look for on these cars, if you don't take someone who does.
Ones that have been sitting for awhile will need some maintenance.

Let us know what you find out about this 86.
I love the four eyed cars and it's always great to see them when they are cared for.