PDA

View Full Version : New to the board

bleavitt23
10-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Hey guys - Thanks for letting me join the board!
I just wanted to say hi and give a little info about myself.

I just bought my first Mustang. It's a running and driving '66 Coupe I picked up for a steal a few weeks ago. Since then I joined up at the Vintage Mustang Forums which is what led me here.

This car needs a lot of love, but has a solid foundation. The PO used it as a daily driver in Baltimore for a number of years and it recently started having mechanical issues which ended up being a bent pushrod. Well - I don't exactly know all the details of what happened after that, but they ended up swapping out the head with a rebuild '67 head, swapped out he pushrods with new ones, then put some of the old ones back in for some reason, then decided they had the wrong length rods in there, then took it to TWO shops that "couldn't" fix it... so they sold it to my brother (Who doesn't like Mustangs in the first place) who then sold it to me. When I got it it did run like crap. So I popped open the valve cover to investigate. First thing I noticed - it has adjustable rockers. Second thing I noticed - they were way loose! So I adjusted them and it runs great now! I can't wrap my mind around the fact that two different repair shops couldn't figure this out??? So I'm happy as can be!

Most of what it needs is bodywork and interior. It's really mechanically sound and a lot of parts have been replaced recently. The head only has 1000 miles on it, the front tires, brakes, and shocks are all new. It does need a new flexplate which came in today so that'll be fixed by the end of this weekend.

So that's the story so far behind the car. Like I said, it's my first Mustang, but I'm a car guy and mostly a Ford guy in general. My daily driver/baby is an '86 Thunderbird Turbocoupe. I also have a '50 Chevy Styline which is a long-term project. My 6-year-old son has already claimed that one for when he is old enough to drive! I used to, and wish I still had my '93 SHO. That's one car I constantly kick myself for getting rid of! I'll be buried in my T-Bird, and once I spend more time with the 'stang I'll probably want that one to come with me to!

Anyways - Sorry for the long post. I noticed that your meetings are typically at the Dulles Expo Center. I work in Herndon off of McLearen road so that's really close and I'd love to come to a meeting if you guys don't mind me showing up in the Thunderbird for a while. I do have some work to do on the 'stang before I'll feel comfortable driving any kind of distance.

Some Photos!

02BlueGT
10-15-2013, 10:39 PM
I'd love to come to a meeting if you guys don't mind me showing up in the Thunderbird for a while.

Welcome! Nothing wrong with bring the T-bird because there is no rule that says you have to show up in a Stang. Plenty of members have brought other vehicles before.

Great White
10-16-2013, 07:59 AM
Welcome to the club! And as stated above, please feel free to join us in whichever vehicle you choose. Congrats on your first mustang!

Renegade3
10-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Welcome!!!!!

Red
10-16-2013, 11:27 AM
That's the beauty of this club. I sold my mustang *ahhh* in need of something more practical and, when work and the baby allows, I still try to come out to the meetings sans mustang. I've made a lot of good friends through this club and with or without a mustang, they are still friends.

sn0w
10-16-2013, 02:59 PM
Welcome aboard!

Great White
10-16-2013, 04:15 PM
That's the beauty of this club. I sold my mustang *ahhh* in need of something more practical and, when work and the baby allows, I still try to come out to the meetings sans mustang. I've made a lot of good friends through this club and with or without a mustang, they are still friends.

Jon, you are now taking directions from your baby? lol :teeth:

Red
10-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Well Paige's bed time is at 7pm so until the meeting time changes to 5, we can't make it.

JudgeDredd
10-16-2013, 06:54 PM
Thank You for your introduction, and we hope to see you at the Club meets when you can make it. We also have friends and members in the Thunderbird Club too. There are members in the NVMC that have professional connections in the reconditioning of the Classics, reach out to them for assistance. We have (2) body & paint shops that are available.

Great White
10-16-2013, 10:01 PM
Well Paige's bed time is at 7pm so until the meeting time changes to 5, we can't make it.Jon I'm just busting your chops. Family first my friend!

Red
10-16-2013, 10:11 PM
I know! :-D

blueheaven
10-17-2013, 07:00 AM
Welcome to the NVMC.

Bockscar
10-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Welcome to the club!

Nvmysvt
10-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Welcome

bleavitt23
10-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the welcome, fellas! I'm looking forward to meeting you all in person. And thanks for the info, "JudgeDredd". I'm going to need a lot of help with this car in the coming years. Mechanically, I can do pretty much anything with my cars. Body work is certainly not one of my strengths, though. I'm also used to fuel injected 80's cars so I have a lot to learn about the '66.

I'm happy to have found a local club. I've been a member of NATO (North American Turbocoupe Organization) since it's founding, but TC's (T-Bird TurboCoupes... not Scion TC's!) are not exactly common vehicles around here so the only time we really get together as a club is at the Carlisle Ford Nationals. So getting the chance to get together with car guys (and gals) more than once a year will be a welcome change!

On a side note - are there any '84-'86 SVO owners in this club? I'm just wondering because I have never seen one on the street around here.