PDA

View Full Version : Show car: What to do?

Great White
09-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Phase 1 of Great White was dedicated daily driver for the past 2 years. I have just over 58,000 miles since new and have retired the car's daily driver duties. Only driven on weekends and cruises now

Which brings me to Phase 2: Most people that know me, know that I couldn't have cared less about showing my car at car shows and barely ever washed my car, as I saw no point because it would just be dirty again the next day or so after the wash. Times have changed

Since I don't plan on abusing my car at the track (besides this Saturday) I figured I would start to show my car at car shows. A lot of you have more experience then I, so just looking for some advice on preparation for car shows, and any recommendations you may have. Not so much into trophies, but more interested in getting people to stop and ask questions, as these cars are a dime a dozen at car shows.

Recently I have added the LeMans stripes and just ordered custom rocker stripes, will be getting tint soon and will be making a custom shift knob as well, and believe it or not have been washing my car *ahhh* , also I will soon be doing a full interior detail, and leather treatment.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Dark Pony
09-13-2013, 10:48 AM
The exterior looks great, now you have to tackle your engine bay. Car shows require a hood-up display. Clean up all of the painted areas, add some custom fluid caps, and shine up your plastic engine cover, air intake, and hoses. Lastly, clean wheels and tires stand out as well.

Great White
09-13-2013, 11:24 AM
The exterior looks great, now you have to tackle your engine bay. Car shows require a hood-up display. Clean up all of the painted areas, add some custom fluid caps, and shine up your plastic engine cover, air intake, and hoses. Lastly, clean wheels and tires stand out as well.

Oh boy, does my engine bay need a detailing!!! I guess I will need some engine dress up parts, to stand out from just being a stock engine bay, I plan on getting hood struts as well, as I really don't care for the hood rod.

Not interested in getting a CAI, so guess I will just have to keep it extremely clean looking.

02BlueGT
09-13-2013, 04:53 PM
Not interested in getting a CAI, so guess I will just have to keep it extremely clean looking.

I've seen plenty of stock engines at shows (including my own at a point in time)and trim pieces like fluid caps aside, they can look really nice. Also +1 on hood struts.

Nvmysvt
09-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Lol that's the one thing people like about my car are the hood struts lol thanks phill!

Renegade3
09-17-2013, 07:36 AM
All of the advice above is good and is on target. Either making everything in the engine bay match, be clean and smooth/streamlined. I've always added the billet covers to everything possible and radiator cover extensions to give that clean look (last generation stangs). I'd also do something small with the interior; floor mats (ones that match the stripe), shifter and just "grease" it up before a show with leather conditioned and cleaners. More is said of a more stock vehicle that is spotless in places that no one cleans, engine bay, door nooks and crannies, wheel wells, rims, exhaust, front bumper.
You know me though, I used to have a real problem with any of the stangs getting dirty....but loved to beat the hell out of them on the strip!

Great White
09-17-2013, 08:09 AM
Thanks Mark! And yeah you were/are pretty obsessed with the cleaning of your vehicles. Lol will definitely take your advice

Red
09-17-2013, 09:09 AM
For me, when I had my '11 GT, it was all about the little things. I'm not much for over the top, in your face "designs". That goes for the entire car, engine bay and interior included. I love the white with red LeMans stripes. If I recall correctly, your interior has a white strip on the seats right? Adding a touch of red to the interior will bring the theme inside.
I think the engine bay would look sick if the plenum cover and coil covers were white with red lettering... just my humble opinion.
I'm also a fan of sticking with 2 colors if possible, but no more than 3. Any more makes everything too busy. This is why I tried to get rid of all the chrome on my car to keep it red and black.
I agree with what's been said:
+1 hood struts: They really clean up the engine bay and make it much much easier to do any work under the hood.
+1 clean tires and wheels: They set the car off. These cars look fantastic with clean sharp wheels, and shiny tires to match. Makes them look like they just rolled off the show room floor.
+1 to cleaning and shining leather before the show. That's also a good thing to do on a regular basis.

If you ever want to play around with painting things in the engine bay, or any other parts, let me know. I would love to help. I miss having something I can detail and make unique.

Great White
09-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Thanks Jon! I am planning for a custom Shift knob that has red in it, just don't want to say what I'm doing until its done. I Want to be the first, then its ok for the copycats to come out of the woodwork lol

gimpy
09-17-2013, 10:56 AM
A blower under the hood would go nicely with your new stripes. :)

Funstang
09-17-2013, 11:16 AM
I also want stripes.. Hook a homee up

Funstang
09-17-2013, 03:10 PM
I got the hood struts from AM. Took about an hour to install with simple tools.. The hardest part was relocating the washer hose.

Great White
09-17-2013, 09:39 PM
I think I will wait until one of the major vendors puts the hood struts on sale as ~$90 is a bit steep IMO

Great White
09-21-2013, 11:16 PM
I received my first award today at the horsepower and horseshoes MCOM car show. I was told that it was highly recommended to raise the hood to show off the engine bay. I wanted to show off the new stripes and would have preferred leaving the hood down, as I have no engine dress up, no CAI, nothing but what came from the factory.

I had recenty cleaned my engine so wasn't concerned about raising the hood. Which brings my question.

At car shows, and you were voting on the cars would leaving the hood down make you not vote for a car?

If so, can you please elaborate!

Seldoon
09-22-2013, 04:17 PM
In my experience what seems to really count at the car shows is the car looking brand new. People won't put down the top on their show convertible because if they do then the top has wrinkles and it counts against them. At a lot of shows people have mirrors on poles to look under the car to see how clean it is there. A friend of mine had a GT500 and was always graded down because his fuel rails had some corrosion on them. The corrosion on the fuel rails can't be polished out so his only choice was to remove the fuel rails and paint them or replace them with billet fuel rails. I've heard judges say that a good looking car had no chance because it was too dirty. So you need to clean everything, inside and out and clean would mean also under the hood. If the car doesn't look like new in any spot then you have a problem at shows. I don't want to enter my car in shows because to me, if you are REALLY into shows, it almost means a car that is a show car, that is cleaned and never driven except to shows and right back home.

But good luck to you. Hope you win many trophies!!!

Red
09-23-2013, 10:20 AM
I always didn't want to raise my hood because , to me , the car looked 10x better with the hood down. Especially with the halos I had. But I always felt "pressure" to have the hood raised. If it were me voting for my favorite, yeah seeing a sick engine bay would be cool but if there isn't anything special under the hood, then having the hood up would detract from the car IMHO.

Great White
09-23-2013, 11:29 AM

Renegade3
09-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Looks great!

Great White
09-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Looks great!
Thanks Mark! Amazing what soap and water does to a paint finish, and taking sometime to detail the engine bay.

Seldoon
09-23-2013, 04:34 PM
James,

Actually you should NOT use soap on the car. Better to use a car wash compound, I.E. some special wash for cars. Soup will take off all your wax!!

Bil

Great White
09-23-2013, 04:40 PM
James,

Actually you should NOT use soap on the car. Better to use a car wash compound, I.E. some special wash for cars. Soup will take off all your wax!!

Bil
Thanks Bil, I should have specified a "special car wash soap" not "soap" like Dawn, palmolive, ivory, irish spring, etc...

And yes you are correct some "soaps" will strip wax right off the car :D

Sigmund
09-29-2013, 05:08 AM
Looking awesome!

Great White
10-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Had Vaughn sign my dashboard :D

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z326/conejo172/vaughnsigningmydash_zps5410d341.jpg (http://s1184.photobucket.com/user/conejo172/media/vaughnsigningmydash_zps5410d341.jpg.html)

Seldoon
10-01-2013, 05:55 PM
James,

I'd be happy to sign your dashboard too. Just let me know.

So how did you do at the show. I didn't enter, just watched the drifting and looked at the cars.

Bil