PDA

View Full Version : paint damage

James Dod
09-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Hey gang,
I have a quick question for anyone out there who might have some auto paint knowledge. One of the trucks that paints lines on the road drove by my car along with several others. There was a very small, pin hole size hole in one of the hoses on the truck. It covered my black mustang with a very fine mist of white paint. Its not visable unless you get up close but its not hard to miss when you are close to the car. I have tried everything I can think of to get it off, honestly this is some mean paint. I am having trouble getting it off the glass. Is it possible to wet sand the car, its a factory paint job, and then just redo the clear coat or will solving this require a new paint job? Would appreciate any help or ideas anyone might have.
Thanks,
Jim

sn0w
09-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Its possible it can be corrected without that - some clay or light polishing should remove it but I can't say for sure without seeing it... for the stuff on the glass you can use a razor blade at less than a 45 degree angle and lots of lubrication(glass cleaner works fine)... I'd be happy to take a look at it for you if you want to set something up.

sn0w
09-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Here's a link to some other alternatives.. better to get that stuff off sooner than later

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/68708-can-t-remove-road-paint-i-think-off-car-please-help.html

Arrow
09-06-2013, 05:28 PM
There's far better experts on here than me for this kind of thing, but here's my advice.

First hose it down with some turtle-wax bug and tar remover (try a small spot first). Let it sit for a minute or so and then clean it off with a microfiber towel. If that doesn't work, panic...

...just kidding.

Clay bar stuff works well, but you have to be careful because it can affect your clear-coat if you do it wrong.

It's road paint, so it's meant to stay put in rain and shine, so if it's been on there for more than a few hours, it's on there good. You can try heating it up, but just be careful you don't do more damage than good, especially around the plastic trim parts! A plastic paint scraper can help once it's starting to come off. Try using a credit-card, too, or the edge of a rubbermade container lid.

I had a similar experience when they painted the lines in my parking lot. The bug-n-tar remover and a credit card worked for me. Someone suggested the heat to me, but I got the paint off before ever trying that.

jas11151990
09-10-2013, 03:45 PM
The clay wont take that stuff off, its meant to stay put when in it dries. The last 5.0 I detailed had it down the side and I took ours picking at some of it with no positive results :/

Nvmysvt
09-11-2013, 11:45 PM
Paint tinner will do the trick we get tons of car at work that run over the wet lines. You will have to wax it after

James Dod
09-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Well I went out and got some Meguiars auto body clay and went to work. Amazing is all I can say. It took the white paint specks off and left a shine on the car that was better than the day we picked it up at the dealer. Only downside is Im going to have to do the whole car now. Thanks so much for all the ideas. Just proves its not always what ya know but who ya know.

bruthru2003
09-18-2013, 05:45 PM
Glad it's worked out for ya!

sn0w
09-24-2013, 09:15 AM
Make sure you get it polished or waxed right away - that clay can mar the paint and removes the wax

James Dod
10-08-2013, 07:53 PM
You are right about that sn0w. I waited one day to long to wax the hood. Water drops dried on the paint and were a real pain to get out. Got it all taken care of now.