PDA

View Full Version : New Member

dobedare
07-31-2013, 02:56 PM
Hey all,

Finally, coming out of the shadows. Ive been registered member for a few months, and only now making my presence known. I just recently acquired a 13 Shelby.

I am located in the Stafford area, but work in DC. While this is my first mustang for a while I grew up in a family of mustang believers. My three brothers and I all had some type of mustang for our first car. My uncle owned one of the first 64 1/2s for all of about 20 days.

I am already grateful to this forum for the wealth of information, so thank you to everyone.

Bandit
07-31-2013, 03:14 PM
Welcome and sounds like a very good choice in cars haha

Seldoon
07-31-2013, 03:48 PM
Hey all,

Finally, coming out of the shadows. I’ve been registered member for a few months, and only now making my presence known. I just recently acquired a ‘13 Shelby.

I am located in the Stafford area, but work in DC. While this is my first mustang for a while – I grew up in a family of mustang believers. My three brothers and I all had some type of mustang for our first car. My uncle owned one of the first 64 1/2s for all of about 20 days.

I am already grateful to this forum for the wealth of information, so thank you to everyone.

I have a 2011 Shelby, black convertible. Will be looking forward to seeing your car at the club meetings. I have a lot of mods on my car but the only power mod is the FRPP Whipple supercharger.

Just be careful with your car until such time as you replace the Goodyear tires as those tires are extremely dangerous, they usually get very little traction. I was forced to replace mine after they almost caused me to have several wrecks.

blueheaven
07-31-2013, 03:56 PM
Welcome to the light and to the NVMC

Great White
07-31-2013, 09:47 PM
Welcome to the club! Look forward to meeting you and seeing that beast at one of our meetings or events

Renegade3
08-01-2013, 06:58 AM
Welcome to the club!

SON1C
08-01-2013, 09:58 AM
welcome!

dobedare
08-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Thanks to everyone for the welcome.

I agree that Shelby is a much better choice than my first mustang – a 1978 Cobra II. It is the first Shelby in the family. Most of my family aren’t even aware that I have the Shelby yet. I don’t want to have to worry about one of my brothers or cousins “taking it for a spin.”

Mr. Seldoon – your rep proceeds you – in a good way. I stopped in to ****** Ford to get familiar with the service department. Matt was very solicitous of you and indicated that you were a great resource when it comes to the Shelby. While I was there – another Shelby pulled in to the service department. It was White with Blue Stripes. Don’t know if he is a member here, unfortunately didn’t get an opportunity to speak with him.

Further, I have to agree about the GYs. I got the car in February and just let me say that it was an interesting trip home – Approximately 2 hour drive, nighttime, bitter cold, misty rain, GY tires, combined with a driver (me) who hasn’t driven a stick in about 10 years, and has a torn meniscus in my left knee. Think I have a few gray hairs after that drive.

Hope to make an event sometime and put faces to screen names – though I hope you all aren’t too insulted if I am more apt to put screen names to cars.

dobedare
08-01-2013, 10:34 AM
welcome!

Hey Son1c, just a quick assumption - but it looks like you do detail work? The daughter has a GT that needs some TLC.

Seldoon
08-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Mr. Seldoon – your rep proceeds you – in a good way. I stopped in to ****** Ford to get familiar with the service department. Matt was very solicitous of you and indicated that you were a great resource when it comes to the Shelby. While I was there – another Shelby pulled in to the service department. It was White with Blue Stripes. Don’t know if he is a member here, unfortunately didn’t get an opportunity to speak with him.

I'm in ****** Ford a lot and to get along with the service department I always give them laudatory ratings on their service and tell them the service crew walks on water. And they are a good bunch. Matt Norris, the service manager, is a good guy, very personable. And of course they are the ones that installed my Whipple supercharger and Matt seems proud of that fact and the way my car runs.

The WAS a guy on the Shelby forum whose handle was Chris410 that had a white Shelby with blue stripes (or was it a blue Shelby with white stripes) but he indicated he sold his car. He was in the Dale City area. I do occasionally see other Shelbys around but not often which is one reason I wanted the car. Regular Corvettes seem to be a dime a dozen.

I like shiny so have added some shiny pieces under the hood, either chrome or polished aluminum as well as the polished Whipple. Just for laughs I even added engine lights for night, they can display in white or various other colors, like going to Lurray Caverns and them using colored lights to display the cave features.

I also like gadgets and have such things are heated drivers seat, rain sensing wipers, a rear camera tied into the nav system so it displays on the nav screen and a few other gimmicks. Upgraded floor mats, you know that you have no rear floor mat, a trunk and trunk lid mat, etc.

Hope to see you soon at the next club meeting if I can make it.

Bil

dobedare
08-01-2013, 04:01 PM
I'm in ****** Ford a lot and to get along with the service department I always give them laudatory ratings on their service and tell them the service crew walks on water. And they are a good bunch. Matt Norris, the service manager, is a good guy, very personable. And of course they are the ones that installed my Whipple supercharger and Matt seems proud of that fact and the way my car runs.

The WAS a guy on the Shelby forum whose handle was Chris410 that had a white Shelby with blue stripes (or was it a blue Shelby with white stripes) but he indicated he sold his car. He was in the Dale City area. I do occasionally see other Shelbys around but not often which is one reason I wanted the car. Regular Corvettes seem to be a dime a dozen.

I like shiny so have added some shiny pieces under the hood, either chrome or polished aluminum as well as the polished Whipple. Just for laughs I even added engine lights for night, they can display in white or various other colors, like going to Lurray Caverns and them using colored lights to display the cave features.

I also like gadgets and have such things are heated drivers seat, rain sensing wipers, a rear camera tied into the nav system so it displays on the nav screen and a few other gimmicks. Upgraded floor mats, you know that you have no rear floor mat, a trunk and trunk lid mat, etc.

Hope to see you soon at the next club meeting if I can make it.

Bil

Yes, Matt spoke about your Whipple with pride. Of course, it is a smart move to get to know your service guys - so they will be more likely to take care of you in the future. Matt did fill my tires with nitrogen at no cost. I also belong to the Shelby forum, and recognize that both yourself and Chris410 were on there. I saw where he sold his, but then I think I saw it on Craigslist listed at a Dealership there in Woodbridge for 45K. His was Kona Blue/White Stripes. So I know it wasn't his that day, frustrating as this one did look familiar just can't place it.

You are right about not many around our area. I drive to DC everyday, so I pick up slug riders at Horner. Actually saw a Shelby parked in the commuter lot this morning - grabber blue with white rocker panel stripes. Didn't get a very good look for the year. And I have seen a GHIG one - which I believe is a GT350. Only got to see it once at the BJ's parking lot. For me, this has been a dream car - must admit my first choice would have been a 67 Shelby, but . . . this was easier to come up with. And yep, those corvettes are a dime a dozen. But hey, there is a Viper in Dumfries for sale - I think it was asking price of $32K.

I also credit the Shelby forum with my new addiction for mods. Like you, I like shiny, and gadgets. I also like my car to be unique. My list of wants is very long, and always seems to get longer. As for the floor mats, for now I bought cheap carpet and cut it to fit in order to protect the current carpeting in the car.

Not sure if I would make a club meeting - as I indicated I work in DC, and by the time I get through DC to go home, it is already 6:00 pm, I generally don't get home until 7:30, meetings in Dulles Area, well, maybe if I get a day off and it coincidences with a Club Meet? Otherwise maybe see you around Woodbridge.

Chris

JudgeDredd
08-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Welcome to the club, hope to see you at this weekends meeting. Ceece

Seldoon
08-01-2013, 04:42 PM
James,

I think you need more things to occupy your time than constantly looking at the board to see if you see any reference to non-sponsers. Maybe a good hobby like R/C cars. Sorry if I offend you but just my opinion.

Bil

Seldoon
08-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Yes, Matt spoke about your Whipple with pride. Of course, it is a smart move to get to know your service guys - so they will be more likely to take care of you in the future. Matt did fill my tires with nitrogen at no cost. I also belong to the Shelby forum, and recognize that both yourself and Chris410 were on there. I saw where he sold his, but then I think I saw it on Craigslist listed at a Dealership there in Woodbridge for 45K. His was Kona Blue/White Stripes. So I know it wasn't his that day, frustrating as this one did look familiar just can't place it.

You are right about not many around our area. I drive to DC everyday, so I pick up slug riders at Horner. Actually saw a Shelby parked in the commuter lot this morning - grabber blue with white rocker panel stripes. Didn't get a very good look for the year. And I have seen a GHIG one - which I believe is a GT350. Only got to see it once at the BJ's parking lot. For me, this has been a dream car - must admit my first choice would have been a 67 Shelby, but . . . this was easier to come up with. And yep, those corvettes are a dime a dozen. But hey, there is a Viper in Dumfries for sale - I think it was asking price of $32K.

I also credit the Shelby forum with my new addiction for mods. Like you, I like shiny, and gadgets. I also like my car to be unique. My list of wants is very long, and always seems to get longer. As for the floor mats, for now I bought cheap carpet and cut it to fit in order to protect the current carpeting in the car.

Not sure if I would make a club meeting - as I indicated I work in DC, and by the time I get through DC to go home, it is already 6:00 pm, I generally don't get home until 7:30, meetings in Dulles Area, well, maybe if I get a day off and it coincidences with a Club Meet? Otherwise maybe see you around Woodbridge.

Chris

Sorry it is so hard for you to make club meetings. Oh well. I didn't realize you were on the Shelby board.

Matt was impressed with my car after they installed the Whipple because he went for a ride with the mechanic, Greg, who did the work and Greg hit the gas and of course those sorry Goodyear tires spun away. I keep telling Matt that it was not the power of the car that impressed him but the thrill of those Goodyear tires being unable to get any traction.

Talk about gadgets, I felt like I HAD to get an aftermarket TPMS as the stock TPMS is no-count. For a car with no spare tire you need a better TPMS that what Ford gives you. And as for the nitrogen, well I wondered if it was worth anything but have finally decided that if it is free, get it, if anyone wants to charge you for it then it is not worth it. And if I get Matt to put nitrogen in the tires they have to overinflate the tires, to say 37 pounds as even a quick drive there heats the tires some and 37 pounds ends up being about 36 or even 35 pounds when the tires cool. And once I'm home I can let the nitrogen out but can't put more in.

Oh yes, another gadget I added which I like but Matt Norris hates is the Indy-Cator which is a gear shift knob that shows you what gear you are in. Ford sells it for $235. And some other place sells it for $200 but I have found it for $165. I like it anyway.

dobedare
08-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Bill,

Haven't made the official posting for the Shelby board - get too sidetrack with some mod, and then I am on hunt to get it done to my car.

I will still bet the Whipple is a big contributor to Matt and Greg experience. Those GYs will most certainly give you gray hairs. Thanks for the info about the Nitrogen in the tires. I also hadn't determined that I would pay to have the nitrogen put in, but I don't generally argue with freebees!

Hmm, now I am going to check out what type of shifter you are referring to!

Seldoon
08-02-2013, 05:41 PM
One new gadget I got is a spot free rinse system. This is an expensive system, $425, which is a two tank unit with a little cart. I've only used it once but it was a hot day, about 97 degrees. I washed the car in sections and would rinse each section and when the car dried there were no spots. Usually I would have to blow it dry, or wipe it dry and with either one of those processes there would STILL be a few spots. I hope you had luck finding an Indy-Cator. On any other board I would post a web site but with James prowling the board constantly I will let that go for now.

Trying to think of other mods. Oh yes, I replaced the speedometer face with a face reading to 220 MPH. Hood struts, that was my first mod. I have a couple of detectors in the car which come in handy. Modified the door step panel to display in blue instead of the red color. Guess that is about all I can think of. Oh yes, getting new tires I also bought new wheels, Roush chrome which sometimes I like and other times I don't like them.

Novi357
08-06-2013, 07:21 AM
Welcome!

dobedare
08-14-2013, 01:25 PM
One new gadget I got is a spot free rinse system. This is an expensive system, $425, which is a two tank unit with a little cart. I've only used it once but it was a hot day, about 97 degrees. I washed the car in sections and would rinse each section and when the car dried there were no spots. Usually I would have to blow it dry, or wipe it dry and with either one of those processes there would STILL be a few spots. I hope you had luck finding an Indy-Cator. On any other board I would post a web site but with James prowling the board constantly I will let that go for now.

Trying to think of other mods. Oh yes, I replaced the speedometer face with a face reading to 220 MPH. Hood struts, that was my first mod. I have a couple of detectors in the car which come in handy. Modified the door step panel to display in blue instead of the red color. Guess that is about all I can think of. Oh yes, getting new tires I also bought new wheels, Roush chrome which sometimes I like and other times I don't like them.

Hey Bil,

Caught a peek at your Indy-Cator - even saw your review. Pretty cool. I also considered one of the spot free rinse systems. Just gotta add it to my list. I spend a lot of what little free time I have volunteering with Dog Rescue group - so now much time for other things especially after my daily commute. Hopefully we will meet up someday and I can see you ride in person!