PDA

View Full Version : Corrosion

c210b
07-26-2013, 10:50 AM
I have a 2006 GT and can't keep the corrosion off my positive battery terminal. I've cleaned it multiple times, replaced battery, used the terminal grease and the felt pad things. I am still getting some new corrosion and want to replace the cable or cable end. Any suggestions on a kit or an idea to do this properly? I know I can go to the parts store and just get another end and splice it in but would rather do a better job.

Great White
07-26-2013, 12:49 PM
clean the posts with baking soda and then use vaseline on the posts to prevent the corrosion from coming back as often.

Seldoon
07-26-2013, 10:50 PM
Instructions

1 Disconnect the battery connections. Use the old toothbrush and a mixture of warm water and baking soda to clean the battery posts and connectors. If there is any corrosion on exposed wires, clean that off as well.
If connectors or connector bolts are excessively corroded, consider replacing the cable. Use a combination of the baking soda mixture and a wire brush to eliminate any existing corrosion.
Completely dry the battery posts, terminal clamps and top of battery before proceeding. Use an old rag or towel that you can dispose of after maintenance is complete.
2 Coat the terminal posts and connectors liberally with petroleum jelly. Petroleum jelly will create a barrier from the elements that contribute to corrosion.
3 Reconnect the connectors to the battery posts. Ensure the connections are tight. Loose connections will allow moisture to get onto surface of post as well as cause unnecessary friction and the petroleum jelly to wear off faster.
4 Apply an additional coat of petroleum jelly to the post and connector and any exposed wire near the connector.

http://autorepair.about.com/od/regularmaintenance/a/battery_cleanup.htm

Arrow
07-30-2013, 03:16 PM
Corrosion can be caused by a faulty battery, excessive release from the battery (usually due to heat), terminal-vs-contact metals (not very common) and weather (to name a few). If you've replaced the battery with a new one, you can probably rule out the battery.

Never had any major difficulties with the stock cables and stock battery. Gained some slight corrosion over the period of 5-6 months, clean it, would be back in another 5-6 months. No big deal.

Weather (rain, construction dust, humidity, etc) can cause terminals to corrode more.

Since I got an AGM battery, there's no more corrosion.

JudgeDredd
07-30-2013, 04:15 PM
You can get she packet of Gel at the parts stores to put on the terminals that stops this. The same thing happened to my dual F350 batteries and that fixed the issue. Ceece