PDA

View Full Version : Mower Woes

Rare Pony
04-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Sorry guys, I started mowing the grass and my riding mower deck is making a loud noise, so I got to try and get that fixed this evening.

Have a great meeting.

Ceece, left you a voice mail on your 703 number.

Rare Pony
04-15-2013, 10:35 PM
The more I worked on the riding mower the worse it got. I took the mower deck off to replace the blades and noticed a missing spring from a bracket attached to a loose bolt on the spindle housing. I tightened the bolt and broke it off without tightening up. So I started to take the other two bolts out to remove the spindle housing so I could drill out the broken bolt and ended up breaking off the other two bolts. So I ended up using my push mower and had to order new parts for the riding mower!

Sorry I missed the cruise up and the meeting. Maybe next time.

Nvmysvt
04-16-2013, 08:36 AM
What kind of mower? I have two John deere mowers we don't use anymore

Rare Pony
04-16-2013, 10:00 AM
What kind of mower? I have two John deere mowers we don't use anymore

It is a Poulan riding mower made by Electrolux. A neighbor gave it too me year before last when the oil was full of gas. After rebuilding the carb and some other maintenance I got it running pretty well.

I've always wanted a John Deere, what size are they?

JudgeDredd
04-18-2013, 08:10 AM
:p

Nvmysvt
04-18-2013, 08:44 AM
It is a Poulan riding mower made by Electrolux. A neighbor gave it too me year before last when the oil was full of gas. After rebuilding the carb and some other maintenance I got it running pretty well.

I've always wanted a John Deere, what size are they?

One mower is my little project but I have the deck just laying around... I would try to grease up the pullies on you mower the barrings might be going bad

JudgeDredd
04-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Alright.... I have a push mower that I have cleaned the Carb, replaced the spark plug, replaced the air filter. I pump the primer and pull start her and she will run for about 10 sec and stall. Any ideas.... Ceece

Arrow
04-18-2013, 03:48 PM
So I started to take the other two bolts out to remove the spindle housing so I could drill out the broken bolt and ended up breaking off the other two bolts..
Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey... :p

Alright.... I have a push mower that I have cleaned the Carb, replaced the spark plug, replaced the air filter. I pump the primer and pull start her and she will run for about 10 sec and stall. Any ideas.... Ceece
Is fuel making it after it starts? Also check the safety cutoff. Those can be finicky if they're loose or out of adjustment. How's the battery?

JudgeDredd
04-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey... :p

Is fuel making it after it starts? Also check the safety cutoff. Those can be finicky if they're loose or out of adjustment. How's the battery? No cut off on this mower, I replaced the fuel line also. I even replaced it with NEW fuel (93 octane).

Rare Pony
04-18-2013, 06:40 PM
The more I worked on the riding mower the worse it got. I took the mower deck off to replace the blades and noticed a missing spring from a bracket attached to a loose bolt on the spindle housing. I tightened the bolt and broke it off without tightening up. So I started to take the other two bolts out to remove the spindle housing so I could drill out the broken bolt and ended up breaking off the other two bolts. So I ended up using my push mower and had to order new parts for the riding mower!

Sorry I missed the cruise up and the meeting. Maybe next time.

The new parts came in on Wednesday! So after a new mower deck spindle and housing, 3 new self tapping bolts, 1 new spring, a new deck belt, and two new blades I'm back in the saddle! :D

Rare Pony
04-19-2013, 04:15 PM
No cut off on this mower, I replaced the fuel line also. I even replaced it with NEW fuel (93 octane).

Ceece, I had the same problem with our snow blower this winter. It would start but not keep running. I could pump the primer bulb and keep it running. I dropped the float bowl and removed the float. The needle valve should fall out, bout mine was stuck. I cleaned it up and that fixed the problem.

It might be easier to just remove the whole carb to get to the needle valve depending on your design.

steed77
04-19-2013, 08:27 PM

It's the pick-up tube OR needle and seat that is attached to the float.

Bench the carb, flip over, pull the bowl off (there may be junk there) pull the float, pull the needle and spray out the main pickup and blow it out. re-assemble and NEW gas. (not some stuff sitting around in an old tank)

prime and profit! :)

This is what the float valve looks like.
http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/briggsandstratton/394682floatvalve.html

this is the pick up tube repair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmLqxmabaxg&list=UU2Oq8wEjzsyJkv8iRxMrs_Q&index=5

JudgeDredd
04-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Ceece, I had the same problem with our snow blower this winter. It would start but not keep running. I could pump the primer bulb and keep it running. I dropped the float bowl and removed the float. The needle valve should fall out, bout mine was stuck. I cleaned it up and that fixed the problem.

It might be easier to just remove the whole carb to get to the needle valve depending on your design. I will be attempting this on Mon am/pm

Rare Pony
05-03-2013, 02:32 PM
I will be attempting this on Mon am/pm

Just curious, did you get your mower fixed?

JudgeDredd
05-03-2013, 05:04 PM
No sir I ran out of time, and this last weekend was the funeral and other stuff. I just did the mowing with the rider Wed. My friend gave me a used Troy Built Self Propelled one Wed am too. I still want to get it fixed, just don't have the time at the moment.