PDA

View Full Version : Rocket Launch Cruise interest?

Sigmund
03-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Oribtal Sciences Corp is planning on launching their new Antares Rocket on a mission to resupply the ISS sometime in mid-April from Wallop Island VA. Would any of ya'all be interested in perhaps getting an impromptu cruise together to go see the launch?

bruthru2003
03-27-2013, 12:32 PM
That sounds like an awesome idea. As long as nothing else is planned, I would be in.

Sigmund
03-27-2013, 12:56 PM
What I'm referring to is described HERE (http://www.orbital.com/NewsInfo/MissionUpdates/Antares_Test_Flight/).

Great White
03-27-2013, 01:09 PM
only issue I see is that the launch is during the work week, but sounds like a cool cruise idea

Sigmund
03-27-2013, 01:15 PM
I've been thinking about that too. I have an advantage, in that I work in the science field, so my employers would be very receptive to allowing time off to attend a launch, but I know others do not have the same advantage.

Seldoon
03-27-2013, 06:11 PM
Sounds good to me. I'm always up for a good launch!!! I'm not sure how long a drive that is but I think I would like to go.

Arrow
03-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Think it's about 3-4 hours from Sterling.

I can't ever commit to anything beyond the next week or so, but I'll see what I can do. Normal work days are usually out of the question for me.

Sigmund
04-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Unfortunately, I have not been able to coordinate this, too much going on at home :( The launch attempt is today between 5pm and 8pm if anyone is interested in going on their own.

Wulfpak
04-17-2013, 08:24 PM
this sounds like a great idea

Arrow
04-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Wish I could, but I'm swamped at work and swamped with family and swamped with getting my 'Stang back on the road. So free time for activities not related to those is SOL.

I do like a good rocket launch, though. You haven't lived until you've seen a NASA rocket leave the Earth.

BMFGT
09-04-2013, 05:12 PM
There's a launch on September 6th at 11:27 PM....suppose to be able to see it from most spots in VA - I am not sure how much you can see but might be worth staying up late to see if If you can catch a glimpse of it

http://www.orbital.com/NewsInfo/MissionUpdates/MinotaurV/index.shtml

Maximum Elevation Map
This map shows the maximum elevation (degrees above the horizon) that the Minotaur V rocket will reach depending on your location along the east coast. The further away you are from the launch site, the closer to the horizon the rocket will be. As a reference, when you look at your fist with your arm fully outstretched, it spans approximately 10 degrees. Thus if you are in Washington, DC the highest point the Minotaur V will reach is approximately 13 degrees above the horizon, or just slightly more than a fist's width. The contours shown stop below 5 degrees. It is unlikely that you'll be able to view the rocket when it is below 5 degrees due to buildings, vegetation, and other terrain features.

Time of First Sighting Map
This map shows the rough time at which you can first expect to see the Minotaur V rocket after it is launched. It represents the time at which the rocket will reach 5 degrees above the horizon and varies depending on your location along the east coast. We have selected 5 degrees as it is unlikely that you'll be able to view the rocket when it is below 5 degrees due to buildings, vegetation, and other terrain features. As a reference, when you look at your fist with your arm fully outstretched, it spans approximately 10 degrees. As an example, using this map when observing from Washington, DC shows that the Minotaur V rocket will reach 5 degrees above the horizon approximately 54 seconds after launch (L + 54 sec).

From the Lincoln Memorial

Sigmund
09-05-2013, 07:34 AM
That's awesome, definitely gonna try to check that out.