PDA

View Full Version : Custom Vinyl Dash and Painted Trim

Red
03-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Well, I've wanted to get rid of the silver dash since I decided to go with a Red and Black color scheme. I didn't want to shell out the $200 for a kit, and I didn't think I would like carbon fiber. So after some deliberation I decided to wrap the dash in matte black vinyl and paint all the chrome rings red to match the car. With David's (Gimpy) help, we wrapped it last night and painted all the chrome rings. Today I finished wrapping the silver accents on the steering wheel. I think it turned out absolutely amazing! We aren't done, sooner or later we're going to get rid of all the chrome parts in the interior.

The first two pictures are of the completed dash

These are after I finished the steering wheel

blueheaven
03-09-2013, 06:41 PM
That looks great Jon! I've wanted to black out my silver dash also and you've given me the alternative I was looking for. You guys did a fantastic job.

Red
03-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Thanks Bill. It wasn't that difficult. Having 2 people and a heat gun really helps.

I just finished wrapping the radio faceplate and center console in matte black. Ill take some pics tomorrow and post them

Great White
03-09-2013, 10:58 PM
I like the black dash, but not wild about the red accents covering the chrome but if you like that's all that matters. Good job Jon and David

PonyRedux
03-10-2013, 07:49 AM
Looks sharp, nice and clean I'm with James where Chrome may not get you home it still looks good. Then again plastimetal isn't chrome LOL. It looks sharp as as long as you like it Jon its all about that bro.

Seldoon
03-10-2013, 08:12 AM
Looks real good to me!!!

Was looking at your list of mods and was thinking you did something to your headlights but couldn't find that mod listed. Probably there and I overlooked it.

Nice blog!!!

blueheaven
03-10-2013, 08:44 AM
My 2 cents, I really like the red trim, it really sets off the dash and works well with the overall theme. Once again great job.

Red
03-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Thanks guys! I absolutely love it. I don't want to go overboard with the red, but I think it's just enough to set it apart.

Looks real good to me!!!

Was looking at your list of mods and was thinking you did something to your headlights but couldn't find that mod listed. Probably there and I overlooked it.

Nice blog!!!
Thanks!
In the blog there is a section called "Lighting". It shows some pictures of the Oracle ColorSHIFT 2.0 Halos I installed.

Great White
03-10-2013, 01:52 PM
That's the beauty of the mustang, everyone modifies them to their personal likings and making unique mods makes them stand out in a crowd.

Red
03-10-2013, 03:13 PM
That's the beauty of the mustang, everyone modifies them to their personal likings and making unique mods makes them stand out in a crowd.

I agree.

Here is a few pictures after I finished wrapping the center console and radio face plate. A few spots still need touch up / redoing but overall, looks much better than the dark gray:

Bocefus
03-11-2013, 12:17 PM
That looks real nice!!!

Red
03-11-2013, 12:56 PM
That looks real nice!!!

Thanks! Still some more work to be done but overall that's the look I'm going for.

Seldoon
03-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Just a GOOD LOOKING car!!

i looked up your headlights on your blog. Don't know how I overlooked that the first time. I guess you can light that in all different colors. Very nice! Do you leave that on while you're driving or only use it when the car is parked?

Some nice touches for sure, under the hood looks great.

Arrow
03-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Eventually Jon's exterior is going to turn completely black and his interior is going to turn completely red. Just watch. :P

Seldoon
03-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Eventually Jon's exterior is going to turn completely black and his interior is going to turn completely red. Just watch. :P

And under the hood?

Red
03-11-2013, 03:31 PM

Hardy Har Har
You're just jealous Ian!

Just a GOOD LOOKING car!!

i looked up your headlights on your blog. Don't know how I overlooked that the first time. I guess you can light that in all different colors. Very nice! Do you leave that on while you're driving or only use it when the car is parked?

Some nice touches for sure, under the hood looks great.

Thanks man! I can change the halos to any color. When I'm driving I have them on (white of course!). They don't light up the road all that much. At night they add a little ambient light on the sides of the road, but not enough that I notice.

JudgeDredd
03-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Dude all you need now is the Furry Dice, I'm going to start calling you "Huggie Bear" !!! lol

Seldoon
03-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Dude all you need now is the Furry Dice, I'm going to start calling you "Huggie Bear" !!! lol

Don't listen to him. Your car looks great without any furry dice!!!!

PhillyLS1
03-12-2013, 11:31 AM
That looks great.

Arrow
03-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Hardy Har Har
You're just jealous Ian!
I just bought my car in the color's I wanted, lol

Though I really do need to get the stripes back on mine. That's a warmer-weather project, tho.

Red
03-12-2013, 02:41 PM
I just bought my car in the color's I wanted, lol

Though I really do need to get the stripes back on mine. That's a warmer-weather project, tho.

Mine is the color I wanted. I'm just adding details. I didn't say I wanted a black car! :p

PonyRedux
03-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Don't listen to him. Your car looks great without any furry dice!!!!

But you might be able to get .25 seconds faster with fuzzy dice!

blueheaven
03-12-2013, 03:17 PM
But you might be able to get .25 seconds faster with fuzzy dice!

The drag from the fuzz on the dice will actually impede rapid forward motion. But they may cushion the impact of your head against the windshield in the event of a head on collision.

Great White
03-12-2013, 04:35 PM

Red
03-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Woah... Those are some.. ehem.. FUZZY dice.

JudgeDredd
03-12-2013, 07:07 PM
;)

Seldoon
03-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Woah... Those are some.. ehem.. FUZZY dice.

Fuzzy dice or furry dice?!

BMFGT
03-14-2013, 06:06 PM
your dash looks great!

Sigmund
03-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Dude you should TOTALLY get the furry dice! That would ROCK! Love fuzzy dice. Loving your interior too. I got my shift/e-brake boots for my Miata from the same place you got yours. Gonna be getting some for the Stang one of these days too. They look great.

MerQry
03-25-2013, 12:48 PM
I love all the little touches in your car!