PDA

View Full Version : Bringing the GT back to my Stang

Sigmund
02-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Posted this originally on the NCRMC forum, but I'd love to read what folks have to say on it here as well.

What I'd love to read info and opinions about would be how I could, with my '03 Vert (or anyone really with any Stang) could bring the "GT" meaning back to my GT. What would ya'all think would be the essential, or even just helpful, mods to make my drop-top a comfortable yet fun and reasonably powerful long-distance touring car?

Great White
02-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Shag Carpet for your feet to be surrounded and relaxed for those long drives ;)

Sigmund
02-14-2013, 12:52 PM
So shag carpet pedals :) Gotcha. I was thinking of adding shiatsu massage pedals myself ;)

Great White
02-14-2013, 01:33 PM
or the whole car! why not be fully comfortable :D

Sigmund
02-14-2013, 01:36 PM
MY EYES! :p

Red
02-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Wow... that's a lot of shag. I swear that car must be from a Dr. Seuss book / movie. Looks like the Lorax's car...

Red
02-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Back to the OP..
I would think a full suspension set up would be a lot of fun. I don't recommend just springs for GT purposes. You don't want too harsh of a ride. An adjustable set up would be ideal. That way if you get to a really curvy fun road, you could pull over and stiffen it up a bit, then return it to a softer setting for the long haul.
I also think a good exhaust set up makes the car that much more fun to drive. One that doesn't drone would be preferred for longer distance driving.

Great White
02-14-2013, 02:00 PM
I agree with the adjustable suspension, perhaps lighter wheels with nice touring tires for comfortable road manners. high performance tires with low profile sidewalls are more harsh. Also interior dress up parts are available at American Muscle and LateModelRestoration to name a couple.

Rustang
02-14-2013, 02:14 PM
I had just H&R Super Sport springs in my old '04 GT, and the ride wasn't too bad. Gave the car a great stance too.

I also had full exhaust (bbk longtubes, bbk h-pipe, pypes SS catback), and although the car was loud at WOT, it didn't drone on the highway, which was nice.

Red
02-14-2013, 02:25 PM
I have Steeda Ultralites on my car. No aftermarket shocks or struts (yet) and while the ride isn't too harsh for me (I actually love it), my wife doesn't like riding in the car for longer distances.

Sigmund
02-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Great info so far ya'all. Looking to put together a list and start planning out mods. I figured my main focus would be handling, but my first thought was the sub-frame connectors, would ya'all recommend those? Hadn't thought of adjustable suspension, but makes sense. Not sure about lighter wheels cuz I like the stock ones, but I'm not going to rule it out. The only real under-hood mods I have been thinking about are the throttle-body/plenum replacement and some dress-up stuff maybe down the road. I've definitely been interested in exhaust, mainly for the sound. I've listened to some sound clips, but still not sure which I like better, x or h. Kinda leaning towards x though. So what exhaust components would ya'all recommend looking at? Also, do ya'all have specific suspension products ya'all think would suit my needs? I'm very inexperienced at this kinda thing, but I know what my end-goal is, which I laid out in my OP. Any exhaust set-ups that work with the stock headers, or would ya'all recommend just replacing the headers too?

Anyone have any thoughts on interior mods? Maybe better seats, stereo set-ups (preferably ones that use the stock Mach 460 speakers), etc. How about top boots?

Would ya'all stick with 17" wheels considering the desire for a balance between performance and comfort? I have no desire for FI, but I would be open to things like under-drive pulleys, lighter flywheels, different gear set-ups, etc..

Sigmund
02-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Another question... would long-tube headers still be decent for a GT set-up, or would it be better to stick with short-tube headers and work the exhaust back from there?

Great White
02-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Rustang would be the guy to talk to about exhaust. his last car '03 or '04 GT sounded awesome!

Red
02-14-2013, 06:08 PM
The only experience I have is with my '11 GT. I have talked to a lot of people but that is all just hearsay. I would probably argue that shorties would be better than long tubes just for clearance sake. The worst is if your on a long distance drive and you bottom out somewhere and cause problems. Plus the install cost of short tube headers is less IIRC.
I also prefer the H-pipe sound over the X-pipe, but again that's on my car. I feel the H-pipe gives a deeper sound while the X-pipe gives more rasp. Not sure if that's the same regardless of the make or not. My current setup has to be my absolute favorite sounding 5.0 (Not that it helps you though lol):
Jegs Cat Deletes, Boss 302 side exhaust and GT500 Axlebacks

Other than that, I can't offer any more than I already have. I think James is right. Rustang could probably help you out a lot.

Rustang
02-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Rustang would be the guy to talk to about exhaust. his last car '03 or '04 GT sounded awesome!

Thanks James! Sigmund, I had an '04 GT with essentially every bolt-on and dyno tuned, so I'm happy to answer any questions you have relating to any modification. I bought the car totally stock and added each mod one by one, so I was able to see what mods did the most and which were the best bang for the buck.

Seldoon
02-14-2013, 09:06 PM
or the whole car! why not be fully comfortable :D

Great picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great White
02-14-2013, 09:08 PM
I believe in researching every single thing I plan on doing to my car to the extreme, so I only do mods once. I also believe in asking alot of questions and not embarrassed to ask even stupid ones. If you don't know something learn from others is the best way. Remember don't be afraid to ask stupid questions. Learn from others mistakes and don't make them yourself. ;)

Red
02-14-2013, 09:12 PM
What a surprise, I again agree with James 100%. I've now learned 2x to research the crap out of every mod. If I had, I wouldn't be selling my wheels just to get what I want, and I wouldn't need a new grille.

Sigmund
02-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Excellent. I'll ask specifically about the exhaust first. I'm perfectly fine going with shorty headers, and I'd also be fine going with H pipes. I've listened to clips of both, but as ya'all probably know, sound clips are kinda a crappy way to try to figure out which I like better, and honestly I probably would be just as happy with one as I would the other. I do like the idea of having less "raspy" and more "deep" sound. Do you have any brands you prefer over others? Also, do ya'all think 3.73 gears would be good as a balance between drive-ability and performance? I'm also wondering about the clutch and whether it would make sense given my goals of replacing it with an aftermarket unit. I'd probably stay with organic, I have no plans to race. What are your thoughts on the throttle-body? As the car is now, first gear seems practically useless, so the gears seem like a good idea, but then having to have the speedometer adjusted seems like kinda a pain in the booty. With that, then, it seems like a good idea to have it tuned, but would it be worth my cash to get those thingies that let me adjust crap myself or store multiple tunes, or could I get away with just having it tweaked once and then forget about it? So much stuff to think about. Here's something, what mod would you, Rustang, recommend should be my first mod? I've read one feller say subframe connectors, and one feller said throttle-body, and one said brakes. Would you be able to lay out the mods you did and what effect they had, and what you might have done differently? It's alot, I know, but I bet more folks than just me could benefit from your experience :) I'd like my car to be a good performer, but I also need it to be comfortable to spend 6-8 hours driving on back roads. handling is a no-brainer, but I'd love some insight on what works well on Mustangs in the handling department. I also like the idea of a good sound via exhaust, but a sound that's not going to be overly intrusive or end up getting annoying after being in the car awhile. Heck, I like the way she sounds now, so I'm guessing just the h-pipes like you recommend would give me perhaps a better-developed version of the sound she already has. Is that accurate?

I really appreciate the time ya'all are taking to guide me on this :)

Sigmund
02-14-2013, 09:17 PM
I believe in researching every single thing I plan on doing to my car to the extreme, so I only do mods once. I also believe in asking alot of questions and not embarrassed to ask even stupid ones. If you don't know something learn from others is the best way. Remember don't be afraid to ask stupid questions. Learn from others mistakes and don't make them yourself. ;)

Absolutely :) I agree 100%, so I am to shamelessly take advantage of whatever insight and guidance I can get out of ya'all. especially since my last car was a Miata (which is still one of my favorite cars without reservation), so this is a very different beast, and one with which I have no previous experience.

Seldoon
02-14-2013, 09:18 PM
If you really lost the GT then you sound like you need new GT emblems!! And if you are on a trip with the top down then you need a windscreen. Also a good nav system with a DVD player so if you don't need the map you can watch movies to pass the time (just kidding about watching movies). The shag carpet idea looks nice but not quite my taste but it has nice floor mats. Good tires are a must and also a good exhaust, one that is reasonably quiet cursing down the road, no drone and if you are getting headers you might as well get the full length headers though you might check the clearance and make sure you get the coated headers and perhaps a starter shield to protect your starter from the heat. Get some locktite bolts for the header bolts so they don't loosen, and watch where your plug wire run to. For some extra cruise power perhaps upgrade to a Whipple or KB supercharger, good for passing. Maybe rain sensing wipers.

Sigmund
02-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Heh, and I was actually thinking of partially debadging my beast and getting rid of the GT emblems (and all of them except the horse actually). Since what I'm interested in is building her to be an actual GT car, maybe I need to re-think that... huh. Good tires for sure... any you would recommend? Gotta have decent performance, but decent wear life as well. I know what I liked on the Miata, but not seeing the same available from Tire Rack for the Stang. I like Red's advice about the shorty headers vs. full-length, is there a reason you recommend the full-length over the shorties? I probably will not worry about a supercharger, I don't want to affect my fuel mileage that drastically if I can help it, and it seems to me the n/a car passes pretty well already. Thanks for the advice about the header bolts.

JudgeDredd
02-15-2013, 02:27 AM
Gears, shifter, exhaust.

99GT
02-15-2013, 05:36 AM
Hi,

I built a 99 to handle Autobahn speeds. Shorty headers were the worst mistake that I made. They didn't do anything except irritate me during the install. The Steeda X-pipe and exhaust really helped though. I started with upgraded brakes, a chassis stiffening kit, exhaust, gears and a tunable suspension. I then added a set of sticky tires. For performance gains, just bolt a blower on it. There is no better way to get to 400 RWHP on a stock block. Send me your email address and I'll send you a copy of the list of parts I used. The car is still fun to drive and I haven't broken too many parts.

Dan

Rustang
02-15-2013, 08:57 AM
I second skipping the shorty headers. Go with longtubes.

As for your first mods, how much is the initial budget? I would do the most simple bolt-ons first, like intake, catback, and maybe a tb/plenum. I had the BBK 78mm TB/Plenum combo on my GT and it was great. Also consider an underdrive pulley kit, as they are cheap and I personally felt a difference from them. Once you complete the exhaust with longtubes and a catted midpipe, then you can take it to Excessive Motorsports and have Chris tune the car for you. This is not only to ensure that the car is making the most horsepower possible from the mods, but also to make sure that you are not running too lean or are at risk for blowing your engine. Tuning is only $350, so definitely worth the piece of mind.

Seldoon
02-15-2013, 10:08 AM
Heh, and I was actually thinking of partially debadging my beast and getting rid of the GT emblems (and all of them except the horse actually). Since what I'm interested in is building her to be an actual GT car, maybe I need to re-think that... huh. Good tires for sure... any you would recommend? Gotta have decent performance, but decent wear life as well. I know what I liked on the Miata, but not seeing the same available from Tire Rack for the Stang. I like Red's advice about the shorty headers vs. full-length, is there a reason you recommend the full-length over the shorties? I probably will not worry about a supercharger, I don't want to affect my fuel mileage that drastically if I can help it, and it seems to me the n/a car passes pretty well already. Thanks for the advice about the header bolts.

A supercharger doesn't decrease the gas mileage unless you put your foot into it. That is the beauty of the superchargers and especially the turbo chargers, an increase in power without an increase in gas consumption unless you have a very heavy foot. A lot of the cars now are going to a 4 cylinder engine like the Sonata which has a 4 cylinder turbocharged engine making about 276 horsepower. I put the Michelin Supersport tires on my car and have been very happy with them as they are very quiet and very smooth and seem to get good traction. As for the headers, if you are going to put headers on then you might as well go all the way, you are putting them on for horsepower gains and the full length are going to give you more horsepower than short headers. BUT headers are going to usually make more noise so keep that in mind. And the problems I had with my short headers was the heat, burned plug wires, the bolts coming loose on the headers causing a gasket leak and the noise and I had to get that fixed, and the heat taking out the starter so you need a starter shield. The starter won't go out right away but the heat will probably kill it eventually. Some people get the header bolts wired so the can't come loose unless you take the wires out. If you get headers you really need to check all the header bolts after about a month to make sure they are still tight. And you can piddle around with some minor power upgrades like the power pulley or a cold air intake electric water pump etc. but for REAL power that you can really feel just go for the superchager. I think on the 2011 GT it made 412 HP stock but Ford Racing Performance Parts sold three superchargers for the car, one took you to 525 HP and the second one took you to 624 HP. They also sold a third option which apparently would get you even more HP but the first two superchargers came with their own tuners while the third expected you to tune the car yourself or get a third party to do the tuning. So that supercharger they didn't list the HP figure. I would give you my exact model of tire for my car only I can't remember the exact designation for it and they have my car over at Cowles Ford right now putting ceramic brake pads on the car because I got tired of all the dust from the stock pads.

Sigmund
02-15-2013, 10:13 AM
Still have to work out the budget, but basically I'm just making a list at the moment, then I can set up a schedule and work the budget plan up.

I can do long tubes. I also like the TB/Plenum upgrade. Still wondering about the subframe connectors though. Some other folks swear it makes a huge difference, and that kinda makes sense to me, especially on my topless ride. Did you do the subframe connectors? I don't like the light bars that make getting in and out of the back seat an exercise in yoga mastery though, so they're not an option. I like a nice, clean topless look.... roll cages aren't bad, but that would be a bit over-kill for my goals. Seems like the subframe connectors would be the way to go.

Starting with the catback is a great idea :) It's also been suggested to me, however, that handling/suspension mods should come before power mods. Would ya'all agree with that? Also, would lowering ~1" require a toe/camber kit/adapter?

Also, would the underdrive pulleys cause a problem if I'm running powered items like recharging phones/Nintendo DS's/tablet computers via inverters? Don't worry so much about the AC in a Vert, but gonna have to be able to recharge/power phones and the entertainment devices for the pre-teens.

Not going to do any forced induction. I do have a heavy foot at times :D If I put a SC on it, I am going to use it. Seems to me I'm better off just leaving that alone :D At least, not any time in the forsee-able future. Also, does an aftermarket CAI really make much difference? I thought these cars already have decent intakes.

For anyone who'd like to send me lists or more info (thanks 99GT), my email is christopher(dot)sigmund(at)gmail(dot)com.

Sigmund
02-15-2013, 10:33 AM
Ok, I've decided. My first mod is gonna be a 8" shorty antenna. Can't wait to see how much faster she goes after installing this sweet mod :D

Rustang
02-15-2013, 11:33 AM
I lowered the '04 GT on H&R Super Sports, and even though it wasn't supposed to drop it so much, it ended up going down a little over 2 inches front and rear. Looked great actually. I did not need any sort of camber kit. Car was actually still in alignment when I got it checked after putting on new rims/tires and lowering it.

My '03 Cobra is a convertible, but it already had the full length subframe connectors on before I bought it, so I'm not sure of the impact. I will say with it's current setup of QA1 adjustable shocks, Steeda lowering springs, IRS bushings, IRS brace, Steeda full length subframe connectors, and 18x9 front and 18x10 rear wheels with Nitto NT555's, the car handles great. Not sure how it would compare to a coupe, but it's definitely enough for me, because I'm not bringing it to a road course any time soon.

Also, in regards to the UDPs on my '04 GT, never had an issue with running AC, charging the phone, and playing the stereo at the same time. No surges or drops in idle. Did not notice a difference from stock unless I got on it, at which point it felt like after 4500 RPM it had a little extra juice.

Sigmund
02-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Very cool, I'll definitely go with UDPs then. Good to learn about not needing any camber fix after lowering too. Nice.

How does the ride feel with all your suspension/handling mods? Think it would still be decent for 6-8 hour drives with passengers?

Rustang
02-15-2013, 12:35 PM
Very cool, I'll definitely go with UDPs then. Good to learn about not needing any camber fix after lowering too. Nice.

How does the ride feel with all your suspension/handling mods? Think it would still be decent for 6-8 hour drives with passengers?

I would probably say no. Also, I can't imagine what kind of passenger could fit in the back of a new edge convertible. Unless you are friends with a family of primordial dwarfs, I wouldn't count on putting anyone back there. My Cobra is purely a weekend and sunny weather car. It never sees rain, cold, or long drives (mainly because it already has more miles than I would like and I don't want it to go much higher), so I really can't comment on comfort for long trips, however I will say that it seems pretty stiff.

Sigmund
02-15-2013, 12:40 PM
The 8 and 10 year olds are ok sitting back there for now, although we'd most likely be doing a Skyline Dr. run with them so we'd be getting out and walking around frequently as well.

In a slight departure from the suggestions, I'll probably stick with 17 wheels on her, and the most I'd likely lower her would be an inch or so. Not looking for a drag-racer, or racer of any kind really. Just something fun in the twisties every once in awhile :)

Edit: My last car was a Miata, so just owning a Mustang GT is a HUGE power gain for me :D Still, I'd like her to serve a similar function for my wife and I, which is to be our weekend get-away and stress-relief vehicle. She still has to serve as a daily driver though. I do try to take care of my vehicle, and I've already gotten her a CA Pop Top car cover (had one for the Miata and LOVE them. Great cover, especially for a drop-top). I want her to look nice, handle great, and be able to get up and go when I need her to. My plan, which ya'all are helping immensely to create, is to start in on stopping and handling first, then start in on exhaust with the cat-back, then save for the headers/mid-pipe. Then the TB and possibly CAI (if ya'all really think it would help). Then would be the tune. Only then would I start thinking about FI. That's probably going to take me a couple years anyway, and of course in betwixed there will come new stereo bits (gotta have an aux jack for my iPods), and the obligatory cheesy bling for a geek like me :D I VERY much appreciate all the advice, info, and suggestions so far. I also will be keeping an open mind and remain willing to be persuaded (such as with the headers), since I am a rank newbie at this muscle car thing. Very excited to be getting into this and learning. Very much look forward to meeting in person and having the opportunity to drool over all ya'all's rides and see what I have to look forward to :)

Edit #2: Oh, and she needs to be able to carry my wife and I down to Hatteras Island (where I was born) a few times a year to visit family and cruise the island/OBX in style :)

Sigmund
02-15-2013, 12:58 PM
BTW Red and Rustang (and anyone else interested for that matter), the weather for the near future is looking kinda crappy for pics, but if we get a window and ya'all wanna try rocking out a few images, just email me and we'll knock something together, if nothing else than as a test run. Even overcast light can be good for car pics, it's nice and diffused so it won't cause harsh shadows or blown-out highlights. If ya'all have the time, perhaps we can keep an eye on a week from Sat to just get out and make a few images and discuss what ya'all would like to get out of your photo sessions.

Seldoon
02-15-2013, 11:11 PM
I've always wanted to see a before and after dyno on a power pulley or underdrive pulley but have never seen one. I just don't really think that a power pulley does much. And while I don't think the newer cars get much out of exhaust work or CAI the older cars get something out of it. And I have discovered that the light bars don't really make the car any lighter, in fact they make them heavier. Light bars and style bars are NOT for me, I just don't see the appeal, especially since they are not roll bars. But for running around with the top down an air shield is nice but not sure how it works with passengers?!

Not sure if you are really a geek or not. I guess you know the definition of a geek. Here it is:
1: a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake

But maybe you are into those things, not for me.

The handling mods sound good. I did some exhaust work but in the end on my car it was so loud my wife refused to get in the car, was embarrassed for me to pick her up. I had the shorty headers and Borla exhaust. I finally had to take the car to an exhaust shop to get a better combination of flow and less noise. Passengers in the car would scream at me that the car was too loud and I would be saying I can't understand what you are saying. Almost like going into Best Buy.

Weather has been crappy lately. I should have worked on my car today with the nice weather at noon but the car was in the dealership until about 1 PM. I did work over the wheels but was still working on cleaning them when it started turning cold and I had to quit. That !@#(@*!#@ brake dust gets on the so bad which was why I replaced the pads.

Sigmund
02-16-2013, 03:08 PM
I'm actually more of the "2. : a person often of an intellectual bent who is disliked" or "3. : an enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field or activity <computer geek>" varieties of "geek", but all I have to say is, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas :cool:

I am worried about how loud the car gets. I want a good sound, but not a loud sound. I like a nice rumble with a good growl when I mash on the gas.

Seldoon
02-16-2013, 10:38 PM
Glad to know you don't go around biting the heads off live chickens and snakes!!! But, HEY, if that is what you are really into who am I to criticize.

I have a 2011 Shelby and the exhaust on it suits me well. It has a nice rumble, especially at start-up, but no drone and is quiet going down the road so I can talk on the phone or listen to music. My girlfriend put Borla exhausts on her 2003 Cobra and she likes the sound but admits she can't talk on the phone or hear any music as she goes down the road plus she says her car now attracts the attention of the police. I guess the best way to go is to figure out what you THINK you want and then see if you can find a car so-equipped and listen to it at idle and maybe have the owner take you for a drive.

Sigmund
02-19-2013, 09:38 AM
So, brakes. I see a set of "GT" 13" brakes, but otherwise I see huge competition brake sets, and I see just replacement rotors and pads sets. I will start with replacement rotors and pads, but what I'm wondering is for just a GT set-up, would ya'all think replacing the stock brake systems be needed? If so, just front or both front and rear? The replacement systems are dang expensive for just front brakes. I could see spending a grand or two on exhaust, but just for a pair of front brakes? Are the stock brake systems really that bad that I need to spring $1200 or more to replace just the front brakes if I want decent performance? The car doesn't seem that bad at stopping to me.

blueheaven
02-20-2013, 04:30 PM
For a brakes you can go with a rotor and pad upgrade ie. Powerslot slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads etc.

Sigmund
02-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Ok good :) I will definitely do that as my first mod. Stopping is good.

Edit: How about this Baer kit thingie (http://www.cjponyparts.com/ssbc-short-stop-kit-front-and-rear-v6-gt-94-98/p/A2360006/)? This looks like it'd be pretty good.

Seldoon
02-20-2013, 08:53 PM
The problem with the brakes is usually brake fade. You get out going around the track and soon find out that your brakes don't feel as good as they did at the start. For normal street driving the brakes should be OK. And you're right about the expense, for front brakes alone on my car the whole system would be over $3,000. I just put ceramic pads on my car and hopefully that will be all I need and I did that because of all the brake dust from the OEM pads.

As for the exhaust if you want to do the exhaust for sound alone then go for it but if you are thinking you are getting more power usually the bang for the buck is poor. For example, I was wanting more power out of my car, my mechanic suggested long tube headers for $2,000 total cost. I said how much more horsepower are we talking about and he said about 20. So about $100 per horsepower, to me a pretty expensive proposition. I told him no thanks.

lilredcorvette
02-20-2013, 09:29 PM
On brakes...

For the love of all that is good and holy, please pick up a Motive bleeder and remember to flush out your brake fluid on a regular basis, and replace with a DOT-4 fluid (Superblue @ OG Racing in Sterling). This will help significantly with brake fade.

Ceramic pads are fine for a cruise/show car, but are not the best choice for track use.

And now I step off my safety soapbox. :p

Rustang
02-21-2013, 06:45 AM
The problem with the brakes is usually brake fade. You get out going around the track and soon find out that your brakes don't feel as good as they did at the start. For normal street driving the brakes should be OK. And you're right about the expense, for front brakes alone on my car the whole system would be over $3,000. I just put ceramic pads on my car and hopefully that will be all I need and I did that because of all the brake dust from the OEM pads.

As for the exhaust if you want to do the exhaust for sound alone then go for it but if you are thinking you are getting more power usually the bang for the buck is poor. For example, I was wanting more power out of my car, my mechanic suggested long tube headers for $2,000 total cost. I said how much more horsepower are we talking about and he said about 20. So about $100 per horsepower, to me a pretty expensive proposition. I told him no thanks.

Who quoted you $2k for longtubes? Excessive said they can put longtubes on my car with cats for $1k installed. In my book, 20rwhp for $1k isn't too bad.

Sigmund, as I mentioned previously, my old '04 GT had all bolt-ons and was tuned by Chris at Excessive. Stock the 99-04 GT dynos right around 220rwhp, and with thousands of dollars in bolt-ons and tuning, it made 274rwhp and 314rwtq. Assuming a 15% drivetrain loss, that's about 325bhp at the crank, up from 260bhp stock. The car sounded great with longtubes and full exhaust, and in my opinion was decently quick. Point I'm trying to make is that the only way to make a good amount of horsepower on the 2V platform is to go forced induction. To me it sounds like you are more about cruisability over flat out performance, thus I would recommend getting yourself a catback, mostly for sound. I wouldn't go too deep into the bolt-ons on the GT unless you plan on going FI down the road. Just a bit of a money pit, and the gains aren't that great.

Sigmund
02-21-2013, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the info and advice. The intake/exhaust will definitely be the last stuff on the list of priorities. I love carving twisty mountain roads, so the handling stuff and brakes are the priority for me. Forced Induction is not off the table for me, just not a high priority either, which is why I care about the exhaust at all. Perhaps once the car is no longer my DD it would be the thing to do :) Course, with the price of gas going back up again maybe not :mad:

Rustang
02-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Couple of aesthetic things that I would do that are cheap and really clean up the car would be:

1. Mach 1 Grill
2. Mach 1 Front Lip
3. Smoked Taillights
4. Shorty Antenna

Sigmund
02-23-2013, 09:24 PM
I have the shorty antenna already, and also added a black fuel door to continue the black/dark shadow grey theme. I'll have to look up the Mach 1 bits, not sure what they look like. I actually was thinking about going with the black hale projector headlights and black led tail lights. I do like the smoked lights too though. That stuff's gonna be after the brakes and handling mods. Not sure what all I wanna do inside, except for replacing the stereo head unit to one that has an aux port and usb port. JVC makes a real nice one I'm looking at. Maybe an amp/sub down the road too, but the head unit will be soon so I can use my ipods in the car.

Sigmund
02-23-2013, 09:27 PM
On brakes...

For the love of all that is good and holy, please pick up a Motive bleeder and remember to flush out your brake fluid on a regular basis, and replace with a DOT-4 fluid (Superblue @ OG Racing in Sterling). This will help significantly with brake fade.

Ceramic pads are fine for a cruise/show car, but are not the best choice for track use.

And now I step off my safety soapbox. :p

Thank you for stepping on it :D Very good advice all. What interval do you follow for flushing the brake fluid? I have not done that before, is it fairly easy? Safety is my first concern of course.

Sigmund
02-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Lots to think about so far :) I really appreciate all the advice and info. It's really helping me plan out, and possibly rethink my upgrade/mod strategy. So lets say theoretically that I become interested in FI down the road. Keeping in mind I'm not really interested in a HP monster and so would most likely keep the psi fairly low, what would be the recommended upgrades to the engine internals? I already know about air-flow (intake, TB, headers, exhaust), and of course a tune to finish it off. How about plugs/wires? Any benefit to plugs/wires for a N/A engine, if the car is meant for cruising not tracking?

Rustang
02-24-2013, 08:51 AM
You shouldn't have to upgrade any internals on the GT as long as you keep the boost low. It varies depending on who you talk to, but most people say the GT is good for ~400rwhp before you start having problems.

lilredcorvette
02-24-2013, 09:58 AM
Thank you for stepping on it :D Very good advice all. What interval do you follow for flushing the brake fluid? I have not done that before, is it fairly easy? Safety is my first concern of course.

It depends on how you use the car and how hard you are on the brakes. If you are just cruising it, then yearly would probably be fine. Take a look at your brake fluid periodically. Is it black? Then that means the fluid has gotten hot enough to where it has started to break down chemically, therefore becoming less effective in its purpose (and then you have significant brake fade - also known as the oh s--t! moment when your brake pedal goes to the floor).

I track my vehicles, so I have to bleed my fluid beforehand in preparation for a track day...if it's an aggressive course with a lot of "slow" corners (where you are absolutely standing on the brakes before turn in), then bleeding afterward may also be necessary.

Here's the Motive bleeder website: http://www.motiveproducts.com/

It is absolutely easy to use! Start at the corner furthest out from your brake master cylinder (usually passenger rear wheel) and work your way around the car. No need to pump the brakes or any of that BS because it's a pressurized system that expels the old brake fluid without getting air into the lines. It's fast and it'll save you money in the long run by doing it yourself.

Honestly, you guys should set up a shop day doing this...

Sigmund
02-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the info ya'all. Gonna hafta check the fluids some time this week. I'm guessing they're good, but gonna make sure.

Sigmund
03-22-2013, 07:44 AM
I was inspired by Billy and got a t-handle for the car :) Liking it lots so far, although it intrudes slightly on the cup holder when the car's in 2nd gear.

Great White
03-22-2013, 10:29 AM
looks nice Chris

Sigmund
03-22-2013, 10:32 AM
Thanks, I think I like it. Need to get a new boot now.

Sigmund
03-24-2013, 04:03 PM
I surrender :) I have tried to install the chin spoiler myself. The CJ Pony site mentions using tape to hold the spoiler up until the holes are drilled and the hardware starts taking over, but I discovered 1) that doesn't work as well as I hoped, and 2) the only "drill" I have is an electric screw-driver and once the bit is in it I can't get the "drill" under the car to drill the holes, it's too long. I don't have rammps, or the free cash at he moment to buy ramps. So, if anyone could give me a hand I'd greatly appreciate it. Just need some way to get under the front bumper cover to drill the holes, and a couple more hands to help hold the blasted thing up long enough to get some holes drilled and hardware installed :) Please PM me if you're willing to help a feller out :)