PDA

View Full Version : Cruise to Point Lookout and to Smith Islands

Seldoon
12-26-2012, 02:25 AM
My wife wanted me to take her on a cruise so I did. I got up one morning and we left in the Mustang for a nice cruise to Point Lookout in MD and from there we left on a cruise to the islands, the Smith Islands. Got to the islands about 11:30 and ate in the Smith Islands restaurant, then took a tour of the islands seeing the towns of Euell and Rhodes Point and then left about 3:00 pm to come back and got back to the car about 4:30 pm. Then drove back home to beautiful downtown Dale City.

Not quite the cruise to the islands my wife had in mind but she had to admit that we did cruise to the islands.

And Smith Island is famous for Smith Island cake, the official MD cake.

And I think the cruise was about $25 per person, much cheaper than the cruise my wife wanted also!!

http://www.smithislandcruises.com/

kooldawg6
12-26-2012, 08:08 PM
I went to Smith Island as a youngster with my parents. I enjoyed and would like to go back someday.

Seldoon
12-27-2012, 01:54 AM
Smith Islands are interesting. There are three towns on the islands, Ewell, Rhodes Point and Tylerton. There was a fourth town but that town is now underwater, like Atlantis. A writer was there talking to people and he met a lady in Ewell and he asked her if she was born there. She laughed at the question and said 'Gosh no, I wasn't born here!'. The writer found out later the lady was born in the town now under water.

I would love a bite of a Smith Island cake but guess I'll have to return there to get one. They sell them mail order but I think the shipping cost more than the cake!! The Smith Islands cake is the official Maryland cake.

And there are several islands. I think if you go there you need a boat to visit Tylerton from either Ewell or Rhodes Point.

Anyway a cheap cruise to go on to surprise your wife with a cruise to the islands. I think when we went, from beautiful downtown Dale City I think we left home at 7:30 am and got back home about 6:30 pm. I think the cruise cost me $25 per person. They have a restaurant and bookstore on the islands. I think there is a motel there but I'm very sensitive to noise so don't know how quiet it would be. I don't think the Smith Islands are good Mustang territory so I would not want to move there and they have a lot of noseeums there.

http://www.smithislandcruises.com/

Sigmund
02-06-2013, 11:49 AM
This sounds really fun. Might have to talk the wife into doing this (which won't be all that difficult :D ).