PDA

View Full Version : Welding Body Panels

bleavitt23
02-16-2014, 07:08 PM
Does anyone here have experience with welding? I bought a welder (Hobart Auto-Arc 130). It comes set up for flux-core welding, but can easily be converted to mig. Anyways - I've read that using flux-core wire for body panels that will be painted it not a good idea. I can't remember where I read it or what the problem supposedly is, but I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about it. I got this welder because it can be used with gas, but I'm just going to use the flux-core stuff as long as I can.

JudgeDredd
02-17-2014, 12:35 AM
Mig is always better for sheet metal, your settings on the machine (read the directions) on the heat setting and metal thickness. I welded back in HS and in the USMC. The key is to get a good clean contact surface (the two pieces that are to be joined) and ground. I have Arch Welded (6011/7014 rod), MIG & TIG (Aluminum). These auto units are supposed to be automatic on the settings.

Once the weld is completed comes the harder part, grinding, sanding and smoothing and finishing it so that the primer/pant can be applied. Some welding can PIT the metal and is harder to finish. Just my two cents Sir.

Ceece

99GT
02-17-2014, 04:31 AM
There's no difference in painting over areas that are welded with flux-core wire instead of solid core wire. The difference between solid core wire and flux-core wire is that flux-core wire welds are messier and take more time to clean up. You end up putting more heat into the panel which increases the chance of warping the panel. I'd recommend getting some scrap metal and practicing to determine your settings before trying it on the car. I can show you some patch panel samples of flux-core welding on a car if you want to stop by my house. Dan

bleavitt23
02-17-2014, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the responses. I have never welded before so I have a lot to learn, and it'll be quite some time before I attempt any kind of body work welding. For now I'm sticking to fabricating brackets and practicing a lot.

I may just take you up on that offer, Dan. I'd like to see what you have done.

This was my first attempt - welding the 'legs' on my home-made valve spring tool, which were previously bolted on:
http://i.imgur.com/PFZB3J9.jpg

Project_Fastback
02-24-2014, 09:43 AM
I've done all my work (floor pans, frame rails, torque boxes, fender wells, etc) with a mig. Its easy to use and the gas is not expensive at all.

bleavitt23
02-26-2014, 07:24 PM
I just don't want to spend the money on the tanks, hoses, regulator, etc... if I don't have to, or rather until I have to. I'm cheap...

I'm getting practice with the welder making a new radiator/cooling fan bracket for the TC. I'm upgrading the cooling fan to an MN12 tbird fan so I figured, perfect opportunity!

Limited-E
02-28-2014, 10:29 PM
I built my entire car using a $130 Harbor Frieght flux welder. Takes allot of practice to learn how to weld the thin stuff, and I probably spent most of the last four years cleaning up splatter and slag, but the penetration is good and the welds are strong like bull!

bleavitt23
03-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Takes allot of practice to learn how to weld the thin stuff, and I probably spent most of the last four years cleaning up splatter and slag, but the penetration is good and the welds are strong like bull!

I haven't tried anything thin, yet. I'll most likely get a hold of a couple crap fenders or something to practice with before trying anything on an actual car. Both the Mustang and my '50 Chevy need welding on their bodies and I want to make sure it's done right. This 1/8th-inch steel I've been using is super easy, but I know the thin body panels are going to be completely different.